Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mother Natures Closet at Stella Art Gallery and Studio

This last Friday was the opening of Mother Nature's Closet a show of recycled clothing and accessories. I submitted several pieces for the exhibit as did many other local artisans.
Above is a room screen with accessories hanging on a piece of shelf liner. There are several pairs of my wooden popsicle stick earrings on it. The piece to the right is one of my college creations I made this in 2003-2004 as a graduate student at University of Arizona. I call this piece"What it Takes to Feed America"I was inspired by the colored caps of my water bottles. The bodice piece is a piece of fabric that showed upholstery samples. I used acrylic paint for the flesh tone and used broken earrings, children's toys and embroidery for the decorative embellishments.
This jacket is a piece I also made in college from 2002-2003 I was a student at SUNY Brockport at the time. The jacket is called "The Weight of the World on my Back" The pieces has acrylic paints,puffy paints, and sewn onto it are plastic toy soldiers, antique cake toppers, and plastic cowboys and Indians etc. Behind the jacket are recycled purses by local Rochester artist Eva who has an etsy shop called Faerie Tails. Local Rochester artist Elisabeth Freeman exhibited some upcycled wares as well.
I also exhibited some of my eggshell mosaic pendants and some of my recent mixed media ceramic wall hangings.
I don't want to give to much away but would encourage you to do see the show yourself at Stella Art Studio in East Rochester across from the Piano Works plaza.

No comments:

Post a Comment